Ir al contenido principal

Portfolio Entry # 8: Talking about the future

FUTURE 

MEANING & FORM

When we know about the future, we normally use the present tense.

1. We use the present simple for something scheduled: (Utilizamos Presente simple para algo programado,pautado, horarios, etc)

We have a lesson next Monday.
The train arrives at 6.30 in the morning.
The holidays start next week.
It's my birthday tomorrow.

2. We can use the present continuous for plans or arrangements: (Utilizamos Presente Continuo para planes y acuerdos)

I'm playing football tomorrow.
They are coming to see us tomorrow.
We're having a party at Christmas.

3. We use will:

  •          when we express beliefs about the future:  

It will be a nice day tomorrow.
I think Brazil will win the World Cup.
I'm sure you will enjoy the film.

  •          to mean want to or be willing to:.

George says he will help us.

  •          to make offers and promises : (Hacer ofertas o prometer algo)

I'll see you tomorrow.
We'll send you an email.

  •          to talk about offers and promises: (Hablar de ofertas y promesas)

Tim will be at the meeting.
Mary will help with the cooking.

4. We use be going to:

  •          to talk about plans or intentions: (Planes e intenciones)

I'm going to drive to work today.
They are going to move to Manchester.

  •          to make predictions based on evidence we can see: (Hacer predicciones en base a una evidencia)

Be careful! You are going to fall(= I can see that you might fall.)
Look at those black clouds. I think it's going to rain(= I can see that it will rain.)


Entradas más populares de este blog

Portfolio Entry # 6 - Past Continuous Tense

MEANING, USE & FORM 1. MEANING AND USE  * The past continuous shows us that the action was already in progress at a certain time in the past. What were you doing at 8 p.m. last night? I was studying. This means that I started studying before 8 p.m. and I continued after 8 p.m. * The past continuous can also show that activity was in progress for some time, not just for a moment. We were cleaning the house all morning. 2. FORM   We make the past continuous with  was  or  were  and the - ing  form of the verb. AFFIRMATIVE  STRUCTURE :  PRONOUN + WAS (HE - SHE - IT)   +  VERB -ING                                                   WERE (YOU - WE - THEY)  + VER -ING  She couldn't come to the party. She was working. Three years ago, we were living in my home town. NEGATIVE  STRUCTURE:        PRONOUN + WAS NOT (WASN´T) + VERB -ING                                PRONOUN + WERE NOT (WEREN´T) + VERB -ING  I tried to give him some advice, b

Portfolio Entry # 19: WAS - WERE Past Simple

 Hello there! Here it is a video about the verb to be in the past form. Have a look at it! Click here to watch it! I hope you find it useful. 

Portfolio Entry #27: First Conditional

 In the following pictures, you will find a short explanation about FIRST CONDITIONAL and its uses.